Oct 6, 2009

What to Feed Pigeons.....!

Feed

There are many types of cereals, pulses and seeds that pigeons eat. A balanced diet is very important. I feed my pigeons twice daily. In the morning I give them canary seeds and raggi mixed with small amounts of Lin seed, Sunflower seed, Safflower seed and Ram thil. In the evening I give them a mixture of Wheat, Barley, Red rice, Horse gram, White maize, Bajra, Moong dhal full, Black orid dhal full. I also give American green peas, Brown channa, Maize (sweet corn) and ground nuts in small amounts.




Water

Fresh water is a must and should be provided at all times. I use a plastic covered drinker and I change the water in the drinker thrice daily so that it is clean. I even provide water in each individual cages. For that I use an earthen pot which allows the water to stay cool, because the climate here is very hot.

Grit

Grit is important for a good digestive system in pigeons. Commercial grit is not available in my city, so I give my pigeons oyster shells broken into pieces, crushed egg shells, red brick bits and charcoal bits. Oyster shells contain a good amount of calcium which helps the the pigeons to have strong bones and firm eggs. Red brick bits are very helpful for the digestive system of the pigeon. One should note that when sick pigeons are treated with tetracycline, any form of grit should be avoided because it binds up with the medicine and prevents the use of it.

Minerals


Minerals are necessary in pigeons diet. Oyster shells and Egg shells contain a good amount of minerals, calcium and phosphorus which help the pigeons to be healthy and strong. My pigeons eat grit mixture and so they get the mineral supplement.


Vitamins

I give vitamins to weak birds. Care should be taken to avoid overdose as pigeons get a handful amount of vitamins from the feed they eat. Vitamins A, B, C and E are commonly used.